Saturday, January 9, 2010

Direct Democracy

This blog is about aspects of Direct democracy - that is manners by which the common citizens can properly affect issues that involve his government. The method is by persuading the government, municipal, provincial or federal that there should be a referendum about the issue; and if the referendum is approved by a majority of the citizens, that it must be followed by the government.
I plan to indicate such issues when they come up within the news. And I will indicate how the citizens might have properly influenced the conclusion of such issue by such democratic means.
I hope it will stimulate others to mention similar matters, and/or comment upon such ideas as are mentioned.
It is a worthy project I would submit - to improve our democracy. It works well elsewhere - in 24 US states, in Germany and more fulsomely in Switzerland.
The ideas should be able to be implemented in our municipalities, in our province and in our country.

4 comments:

  1. Not just sure who will receive this; "blogging" is new to me. Am trying to send comments about Direct Democracy noticed wit hin the news, etc. Hope to receive comments about it. If you note this blog, perhaps you can respond back.
    My first area to mention relates to the small, bilingual town of Mattawa, which is about to receive an $8 million new French school. I believe that most citizens do not want to break their town apart via this imposed situation. If they could vote via a referendum perhaps this would not happen. Of course, now that process is not available to anyone in Ontario, My book YOU Can Control Your Government describes how it couldhappen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - the proposed school will be divisive in the community

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - I did not see any comment after my response that I agreed with you about Mattawa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that your battle has entered the blogospere, more people will consider the merit of a referendum process, and eventally, someone will dust off the 1997 Ontario report and bring it out for a public airing. Because it was drafted under Mike Harris's regime, it might be the current PC party, under Tom Hudak, that champions it in the next election.

    ReplyDelete